Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I am not a happy camper- ever

To those people who know me, know I am not a camper. I don’t tent it, I don’t RV it, my idea of roughing it is a hotel room. A hotel room with a shower, a sink & the most important thing.. a toilet.
Before we went to Lake Powell, I went and saw my doctor for sever stomach pain. She said that I may have diverticulitis. She then prescribed an antibiotic, anti-nausea & a pain pill. I went to Lake Powell thinking all was well. This diverticulitis is a fancy name for infection in the bowels, or the bowels from hell. I was extremely nauseous all the way during the whole drive down. So to make this very long story shorter… the antibiotics did not work and I was not holding anything down. From Thursday night to Sunday I was completely miserable. I have never felt like this before. I was so incredibly lucky to be camped by my brother-in-laws friend’s house boat. Yay! Sunday came around & I was ready to call it – the vacation--- over. Sunday afternoon was particularly bad. Troy & I decided to pray about what to do, should he take me home? Should he get me to the ER? Or should we stay & I tough it out to see if I got better? I guess we were looking for a sign for what to do with my health. Troy & I don’t usually pray for signs or miracles, but I was in a very bad way. 2 minutes after we finished our prayer, I was laying on the house boat’s couch. (SUPER awesome couch that I was sure that I was going to die on.) . There was a sound from an approaching boat, I just layed there. A lady came on board, I said “Hi I am Tiffany and I am dying.” Then a few seconds later a guy came in with a huge medical bag & he started asking me all sorts of questions. Was I keeping anything down? How did I feel? He determined that I needed additional antibiotics & he gave me one then and there and told me to drink green tea. Right away after I drank the tea, I started to feel better. The antibiotic kicked in and I was able to eat a banana..and I kept it down. To me that was a miracle. I was so blessed to have a PA come right to the boat, at the exact time I needed one. The rest of the day I was able to get up and walk around and be among the land of the living. I am so grateful that we got our sign.
With the new antibiotics, I was able to do a little hiking during our trip. I went on two hikes. One to Antelope Pass- I was not dead. The pictures of me, in the pink skirt are in this canyon. It was a place we rode our wave runners into and hiked the rest. It was a beautiful slot canyon. Troy took about 1000 pictures in this canyon I think I even managed a smile or two.
The last day of our vacation, we walked to Horseshoe Bend. Now the miraculous thing about this was it was 1:00 pm and the temperature was 104 degrees. I still managed to walk down with Troy to get great pictures. Dogs were on the same walk as we were. Their owners had to carry them back up because their paws were burning. The walk/hike was worth it. We got to see a beautiful place in nature.
I am very grateful for a husband that understands that I am not superwoman. I am very grateful for friends that have a houseboat that were so very understanding. It was not the best way to meet them but I am so glad that they were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment